Healthy Discussion

Healthy Discussion

Friday, November 14, 2014

I would like to link two events together to pose a moral question

Event #1
A few months ago I had a telemarketing company repeatedly call me asking for some lady that must have had a similar number previous to me having the phone. Having worked in a call center, I was very respectful to each agent add they asked me if I was interested in their products for a disease that I do not have. I understand that they are just doing their job as directed by their employers, and felt no need to attack the agent personally. Mulitple times I requested that they remove me from their calling list, and it finally seems to have worked. Upon researching the small claims court system, I learned that I can receive hundreds of dollars for harassment.

Event #2
In my philosophy class we talked about the McDonald's lawsuit in which the plaintiff initially received multi-million dollar settlements from the company for having 180° coffee burn her severely and costing her $20,000 in surgery from the burns. This was used as a case to lead a cause against tort reform, which limits when and how one can file a class action lawsuit. That can prevent truly innocent people from receiving justice while, it is true, putting a stop to frivolous lawsuits.


My thought process is as follows:
  1. Technically I could make some decent money by reporting the company and showing record of the phone calls. By all means I have been harassed by the company
  2. I definitely could use some money for college but...
  3. I didn't lose $500 worth of time, so receiving that much moolah for my discomfort seems a little steep of a charge. 
So my question is: though I am completely in the confines of the law in pursuing that money, is it moral for me to collect that money? Why or why not? I want to know if my case would be a "frivolous lawsuit" or if it is a valid way to tell companies not to harass people in direct violation of the law. Tell me what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment