Healthy Discussion

Healthy Discussion

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Superman Complex: My Struggle With Adoption


With my name I've never been able to avoid being compared to Superman. I'm tall, dark and handsome, wear suits on a regular basis and I, too am adopted by earthly parents. I don't have superhuman strength or x-ray vision. My glasses are much needed, in fact. I don't believe myself better than anyone else, nor do I relate my sense of moral judgement to be supposedly perfect as his is. I can, however, relate to his difficulty in discovering that he was adopted.

Clark Kent and I have similar relationships with our parents. I love my family  to no end. They have done everything in their power to show that they truly love me, and I will always consider them as my mom and dad. This does not change the fact that whenever I fill out medical paperwork asking for family history, I can't answer any of the questions and have to put "no" for my lack of knowledge. It doesn't change the reality of my dilemma when asked what my race is: I'm adopted, and my birth mother claimed to be Cherokee, but due to her circumstances I was not listed as a tribal member according to their paperwork. Outside of two names I know nothing else of my origins just like Clark Kent.



Superman eventually got to meet his father through a miraculous turn off Sci Fi events. It's possible that one day that might happen to me, just slightly more realistically via hard work and legal processes that would take strenuous efforts and months of dedication. It may well be worth it someday when I'm no longer a poor college student.

So how do I deal with the load in the meantime? There is another Father that I've never met, but I've gotten to know very well. My Heavenly Father, who has throughout my life down me that He loves me as an individual. This came to mind again for me today watching the scene in Man of Steel where Superman relates to his mother that he found his father from another planet, and that he learned who he is and what his purpose is in life. It became so much easier for Clark Kent to know what to do with his life based on the advicefrom both sets of parents




Now for all of you skeptics out there that might relate God to a fictional comic book character, you may choose to believe what you will. You can say that I'm just seeking a father figure to hide my inner confusion and that I've imagined that all of this is true. Go ahead and believe so. That does not change what I myself know to be true: that I have felt a greater peace than what I have experienced from any other source in my life when I get on my knees and speak with that "fictional" God. Though not always when I want it, He answers my prayers, whether it be through scripture studies, words or actions of those around me, or random thoughts and feelings that I believe come from Him. 

If you're adopted or orphaned, or just feeling lousy in life with no purpose, I'd like to invite you to try and work with your Heavenly Father to discover who you are and where you come from before the womb. Seek the cold, hard truth as to whether or not God answers your prayers. Don't rely on others telling you that it does or doesn't work for them. Do it yourself. I've learned why I'm here on earth and know that there is  more to this temporary pass through mortality filled with both pleasure and pain.

I hope you can find all the answers that you need, and some that you just want. I still have questions, but I know who can help me resolve them. And like Superman, you can be an even greater force for good in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment